Skip to main content

MastoEurope Part two!

Bremen, Germany 1/18/12The best part about traveling to foreign countries is learning about the cultures. Take for instance the fact that Germans absolutely hate the Scorpions. Bringing up an affinity for the Scorps will get you a look normally reserved for someone who just had their finger rip through the toilet paper—a combination of disgust and sheer disappointment followed by anger. People get mad, like normal conversation in English one minute to screaming at you in German the next type mad.

Brussels, Belgium 1/19/12
First of all, I’d like to say, “Fuck yes Brussels!” Never have been treated with such an overwhelming response. We thank you from the bottoms of our enlarged, aorta blocked by of piece of cheese, tar ball bouncing around the chambers hearts. It makes me wish I had been able to leave the venue and check out the city. That is, besides the outdoor urinals in the alley behind the club.
But no such luck. So instead I want to take this time to introduce you to our driver, Jozef:
Look at that handsome son of a bitch. The Czech Republic’s finest. We weren’t in the van ten minutes when I noticed him digging in his nose like he had an mosquito bite on his brain, pulled his finger out, grabbed the stick shift and shifted gears. Not even a courtesy wipe on his pants. I knew right then that we were going to get along great.

Now you may be looking at that RV and thinking wait all six of you are living in that thing? Yep. Three bunks, six dudes—you do the math. That means that Jozef up there has to crawl into bed every night with the one and old Bryan “The Snuggle Bandit” Giles. Known from Stockholm to San Diego for his tendency to embrace anyone within a three-foot radius while snoring out an alcohol fueled mixture that could take the varnish of a chair. Being the pro that he his, he didn’t even bat an eye. A true road dog, badass driver, and a great person to talk to while staring out the window at the amazing European countryside. Glad to call him a part of the crew.

Paris, France 1/20/12
We didn’t even have to play this show, when we got there we found out there was a Chinese cover band filling our spot:
So we took the day off and went and sucked in the sites, starting with some traditional French cuisine:


Hoped the Metro on over to the Eiffel Tower:
Looked at some art:
And caught a show*:
Then it was nothing but wine, cheese and berets for the rest of the night…


*On serious note: This sign creeps me the fuck out. All I can think off is one of those little assholes coming to life and chasing after me with a butcher knife.


San Sebastian, Spain 1/21/12
We should have known this was going to be a wild one when the flyer for the show had what appeared to be a dead David on it:

I can tell you what happened at this show was one of the best things I have ever witnessed in my life. Ever.

The boys are banging through the set and the crowd is going crazy. Mosh pits, crowd surfing, Futbol style Red Fang chants just pure awesomeness. They start Into The Eye and all of the sudden the crowd grabs David of the stage and starts crowd surfing him. While he’s still playing his guitar! I go running over to try and get a photo but the crowd wont’ even let me near. I look on stage to see a guy feeding David’s guitar cord out to him next to a totally hysterical Aaron. I look back as someone from the crowd puts a homemade beer helmet (Ala Prehistoric Dog) on his head and they surf him back on to the stage, put him gently on his feet and he finishes the song. My brain almost blew directly out of my head due to the awesome over load. I don’t have a baby, but I think that this would be better than seeing my first child be born—mostly because there wasn’t any slime or blood.

Lisbon, Portugal 1/22/12
Never in my life did I think that I would say my most memorable experience in Portugal would be at a McDonald’s. But sure as shit…

So we have to do this sort of mad panic load out at the end of the show and end up being done after all the places around are done serving food, so we head out on a mission. After dragging our out of shape asses up we seemed to be a completely vertical hill, we find nothing but a old man bar that closed as soon as we walked in the door. After about another twenty minutes we decided that whatever we saw next was going to have to work. What do you know, but the next open spot we see is the golden arches, the house that Old Dirty Ron built.

The first thing the floored me was they were selling beer. I was so excited that I had to take a picture. Which the girl behind the counter was none to happy about.
Once I explained that I was going to put it on the Internet she changed her tune and even posed for me:
So we’re hanging, eating our Scottish food and getting bugged by the type of people who would hang out at a twenty-four McDonald’s when we notice this guy who has an assortment of different condiments, what appears to be an airline bottle of some strange bright yellow liquor and a spoon laid out very preciously on top of a garbage can. He then came over and asked us for a lighter. After a shrugging “no” he went over to some other people, got a lighter came back to the garbage can, broke the flint and wheel off the lighter, pulled out a tennis ball container sized can of butane from his bag and refilled the lighter.
At this point Aaron, Bryan and I have completely stopped what we are doing and are transfixed, mouths agape. He then dips the spoon into what looked like some honey mustard, poured the yellow booze on top of the mustard, grabs the lighter, and sprays the butane all over the mixture. Next he grabs the spoon, stares at for a second as if they were old adversaries that ran into each other at a wild west saloon, sticks the spoon in his mouth, yanks it out and starts dancing like a raver on bad E.

There was nothing anything any of us could even say or do except grab another beer and watch him start mashing leftovers into a fry container…

—Coyle

Tour To Live!

Comments

  1. Hey Coyle! Apart from the close encounter with that guy (quite normal depending on the hour and place), were there more memorable moments in Lisbon?

    The gig was awesome! Cheers from Portugal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I took a photo with the guitarrist, to which mail I send it?

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeeeeaaahhh I put that helmet on David's head in the san sebastian concert hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, the brussels show was awesome... meurder the mountain is one of top5 albums of last year. hope you will come back soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. San Sebastian´s was TERRIFIC!!!
    We really enjoyed the show, ROCK & SWEAT + RESPECT! The perfect combination!

    Please, come back to the Basque Country as soon as possible.

    CHEERS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Guys,
    can you tell me your actual stage time in Frankfurt?
    Don´t wanna miss your show!
    Cheers,
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  7. thx for the gig in Paris , le bataclan, i was there on the balcony, left side of the stage. your gig was really awesome ! i discovered you at le Bataclan and can't stop listenning to your CD which is excellent !

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I took a photo with all except John in Madrid before the show! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great great great show in Madrid, I really enjoyed it! I also had the chance to talk to them and get their LP signed. Awesome band, hope they come back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our friend Trevor has that same condition. He once passed out, on the floor, along-side a couch and woke up with one leg and one arm up-n-over barely touching the other friend passed out on the couch because he had to snuggle so bad hahaha I wish I could paint you a photograph, it's a funny thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you had time to try some Belgian beers in Brussels; great gig guys, need you back ASAP. Cool of Mastodon to let you play a 45min. set!! Throw Up, my fav.song 2nd on the setlist COOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thx a lot for your awesome show in Toulouse, didn't expect the Saint des Seins to be so fullfilled.
    Hope to see you again asap, one of the best gig in Toulouse lately imho!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found these tour diaries tonight man !! :) Made me laugh me hairy hole off and wish I was on tour !! Few of us Irish lads are gonna see you guys in Lodon next Saturday :) Can't fuckin' wait man !! Whiskey n'Buckfast fuelled Red Lunacy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw you guys in Glasgow last night,never heard yur music before but man you fuckin blew me away,so much so i bought your mountains t,shirt and cd,my favourite new band by far,hurry back to Glasgow guys.Greig.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research on this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I am very glad to see such fantastic information being shared freely out there.
    SRAM Aero 500 Brake Lever Set

    ReplyDelete
  17. RED FANG ROOOOOOOOOOOOCKS!!!!
    PLEASE, YOU NEED TO PLAY IN BRAZIL..

    ReplyDelete
  18. i came for a tour blog, but i stayed for a thin layer of beverage all over my screen... made my day, this!!!
    ...so looking forward to erfurt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Red Fang, PLEASE COME TO BRAZIL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your comment about wishing you'd had time to check out Brussels: if you're back that way make sure to give yourself time to explore Brussels. I'm an American living in Germany and Belgium is my favorite country in Europe. Tons of awesome bars, the people are the best, good food everywhere, beautiful cities and architecture, beautiful countryside and most importantly: the best beer on Earth. I've spent several years exploring Belgian beer and I don't think I've even scratched the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great great great show in Madrid, I really enjoyed it! I also had the chance to talk to them and get their LP signed. Awesome band, hope they come back.
    happy wheels
    super mario bros
    pacman
    agario

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What We Did For Our Summer 2013 Summer Vacation: Part Duex.

Okay, where were we? Slayer. That’s right. So, after all the craziness that was the first couple weeks of the tour we finally settled into our digs for the rest of the tour and met our driver Jens: Things you should know about Jens: The man can drive his ass off. You don’t want to eat his hummus, or he will kill you. If you’re a promoter that ripped off another band he was working for who happens to be at the show he is at, you best find a ATM because he will shake your ass down for all that loot. (Did that make any sense? I don't care.) After a quick bro down with him, we made our way to Interlaken where following a night of hanging with some road homies and watching some Rammstein… Wait, I have to say something right now. I, like a lot of people out there, have never given a good goddamn about Rammstein. Never got the allure. But after watching them live—HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I couldn’t tell you what one of their songs sounds like but their stage show

Chadcago 11/12/09

It was brought to my attention here (scroll to comments) that last time we were in town I didn’t do enough blogging about Aaron’s long-time friend Chad Belfor. Actually I’m surprised there wasn’t more comments on this subject. The people need to know what is going on with Chad at all times. The man is the heartbeat of the city, if Chicago is a heart, he is the Aorta. You put your finger on him to see if the city is still alive. For those of you who don’t know him let me fill you in on the enigma, wrapped in a puzzle, that is Chad Belfor: The first thing you might notice is that Chad is a deep well of emotion, look at him: But Chad is much more complex than that. Chad is a man who wears many hats. Husband, PGA card holder, father, former NASCAR driver, musician, gold medal Olympic athlete… Some of these things could be used to describe him. It’s no wonder that confidence just oozes from his pores: You got to be careful though because after he knocks back a couple tall cold ones the wil

European Headliner Part Three

You know the saying better late than never? This post very well might be an exception to that rule for the following reasons: 1)    I lost my camera and all the photos on it. So I have to use whatever is on my phone and John and David’s photos. 2)    Since being home I have had more beer poured on my face than a corpse at an Irish wake and remember little to nothing about the last couple weeks in Europe. 3)    Compared to the road where all there is a van full of dudes that I don’t really want to talk to after a couple weeks, at home there is a couch and cable to distract me. 4)    I took no notes about said last couple weeks because: 5)    I am really lazy Wiesbaden, Germany 4/27/12 I remember this place! It was an old slaughterhouse turned venue. Those rods on the ceiling are where they would hang the carcasses.  This is going to be easy. Winterhur, Switzerland 4/28/12 I got nothing. No! Wait! This was one of the most scenic drives of the tour as you can t